Version 1.0 Released!

Last update on Sept. 16, 2013.

Version 1.0 Released!

Kwheezy 1.0 Released!

The first official release, version 1.0 is finished and available for download here.

Kwheezy 1.0 is available for both 32bit and 64bit x86 architectures.

It weighs in at a whopping 3.7GB, which is pretty darn heavy for a new-born. That's because it's jam packed full of goodies. You shouldn't need to install much extra to get going.

Related entries

Comments

1. shrinivas

shrinivas on 07/27/2013 11:25 a.m. #

Hi, congratulations for releasing this distro !
    If it weighs 3.7 GB compressed, what would its size when installed ?
    Other than that when there are so many distros based on Debian and having smaller sizes, why would anyone choose to use this ?
    Regards

2. Dalibor

Dalibor on 07/27/2013 3:16 p.m. #

CONGRATULATIONS!
    It's great!
    Please make another with XFCE!
    XFCE Debian 7.1 is the fastest i've try and deserves proper tweek and costumization...
    Make it about 1Gb..i think that will be trully amazing!!!

3. Euan

Euan on 07/27/2013 5:44 p.m. #

Thanks for the feedback.

@Shrinivas: I realize it's very big. And i knew that many would not like that. Kwheezy is designed with beginners in mind, so they shouldn't need to do anything else to be fully operational, with lots of good apps. Personally, I've never been put off by large iso. Lets face it, most of us apt-get most of this stuff afterwards anyway.

@Dalibor: Glad you like it. I'm a big KDE guy myself, but, if I were to do another DE, it would be XFCE. I use it on servers. Xwheezy doesn't roll of the tongue so well though, lol. I didn't realize that there wasn't something similar for XFCE Debian, I've never looked. If I get enough requests I'll think about it.

4. Donald Hamilton

Donald Hamilton on 07/28/2013 3:35 a.m. #

This may be what I am looking for, but your server is really slow. I hope I get it with out it timing out!!! Right now Chrome tells me that it will take 16 days to download. lol ;) ;) I have cable/DSL connection on my end for you information. ;)

5. Euan

Euan on 07/28/2013 3:56 a.m. #

Yes its just been released and I didn't expect so much traffic at once. I'll try to find some download mirrors to help out. And i'm thinking of seeding a torrent. I hope you get it sooner than that.

My download server is 20Mb upload, but speedtest.net gets 30Mb+ out of it. And I am tesing it now, I get 700KB/s, but I'm just a few km's from the download server. I think it's location why your download is so slow.

6. eris discordia

eris discordia on 07/28/2013 9:40 a.m. #

Slow, slow, slow download. I hope it's worth it.

7. jamvaru

jamvaru on 07/28/2013 2:11 p.m. #

a bit faster of a download with 'downthemall'
    instead of a full day, it seems to be about 5 hours, so far, or rather 6.5 or so
    -- is there a torrent link? or rather, why not?

8. jamvaru

jamvaru on 07/28/2013 2:19 p.m. #

lol, i see you are considering a torrent
    i'm rather surprised at how many distros do not have one
    linuxtracker.org? yes, it is a lame site, but still, useful; i think there are other linuxtorrent sites; best bet is to just put a torrent link on your download page, of course...
    ... the dl size is fine with me; what is a day? as if i can't wait; personally, i'd rather not waste the dvd on empty space; plus, a fatter dvd makes for a better 'gift', especially as it is designed for new users & corporate users, a great idea
    ... been looking for the proper KDE, this could be it for me :)

9. Scott

Scott on 07/29/2013 3:09 a.m. #

Downloading torrent at 300k, will seed for as long as possible.. Thanks for creating the torrent. :)

10. dale

dale on 07/29/2013 9:58 a.m. #

I'm getting fairly decent speeds off of the torrent at the moment 400 kbps to 1 MBps. I will seed it as well.

Congratulations on this distro! I'm extremely excited about it, as the Linux kernel has a bug in the driver for my SD Card reader from kernel 3.5 up. They're in no hurry to fix it either.

I've always wanted a nice Debian Stable distro, and I plan on using this for my main Linux OS.

11. dale

dale on 07/29/2013 10:01 a.m. #

I will also echo the XFCE comment above. That would be nice as well. I'm a fan of XFCE and KDE.

12. Kay Man

Kay Man on 07/30/2013 11:46 a.m. #

I currently dual boot with WinXP SP3 32-bit and LMDE 201303, Kernel 3.20-4-amd64 / #1 SMP Debian 3.2.32-1.
    Processor Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz x 2.
    Memory 3.3 GiB.
    My total HDD capacity is 1tb of which 100 GB is used for WinXP and 200GB for LMDE.

I successfully downloaded (with Transmission) an iso image of kwheezy-1.0-(64bit) and after ensuring that md5sum tallies burned it to a brand new DVD disk which K3b formatted first.

The Live Medium is booting and working flawlessly and I find the distro very impressive. But unfortunately when double-clicking on the "Install Kwheezy" icon the installation utility will not appear. I tried several times (including rebooting) but all the icon does is jumping up a few times and then comes to a rest.

Is there another way to install Kwheezy?

13. euan

euan on 07/31/2013 8:05 a.m. #

@Kay Man: I sent you an email to try to help you. If you're still having problems, try the possible fix in the wikis sections entitled "Installation Problems?".

14. newbie

newbie on 08/03/2013 8:30 a.m. #

Would you put the list of packages contained in Kwheezy on your website? Thanks.

15. euan

euan on 08/03/2013 8:42 a.m. #

@newbie: I will think about it. Perhaps a new page that describes all the Kwheezy specific software. I'll be making a wiki for each of them soon. Just need to make sure that downloading and installing is all smooth first.

Until then, you can go to http://packages.kwheezy.com/debian/pool/main/
    and have a browse through the repo.

Also, "apt-cache search kwheezy" will show most of them.

16. euan

euan on 08/03/2013 9 a.m. #

@newbie: I forget to mention, most of the Kwheezy specific apps are mentioned in the tour page of the website.

17. newbie

newbie on 08/04/2013 9:40 a.m. #

@euan, thanks for the response. I actually after the exact packages contained in the Kwheezy iso file to help decide whether to download or not. Perhaps you can list it out by typing 'dpkg -al' (? cannot remember the correct syntax).

18. euan

euan on 08/04/2013 10:11 a.m. #

@newbie: I have put the output of dpkg -l in a text file. It's available at the link below. It's from 32 bit version, so easier to see without the multi-arch stuff.

19. Troy Widgeon

Troy Widgeon on 08/05/2013 5:11 a.m. #

Excellent work. I like it alot. I have already installed Synaptic, LXDE, and xfce just to make it mine. Wouldn't mind seeing a lighter release for some of my less capable machines. I will distribute this one in my quest to enlighten those stuck in the world of that Prism OS.