Version 1.2 released!

Last update on Nov. 27, 2013.

Version 1.2 released!

Version 1.2 is now available from the download page.

This release has three main focuses. Stabilizing the installer, Linux Gaming and Removing the third party repo deb-multimedia.org.

Changes in version 1.2:

• Incorporates a couple of remaining installer bug fixes.
  • Kwheezy Profiler, a new GUI tool to backup and restore user profiles.
  • Rekonq browser updated to 2.3.2.
  • Steam client installed by default.
  • PlayOnLinux installed by default.
  • Some open source games (kdegames, dreamchess) included.
  • deb-multimedia.org packages replaced by official Debian packages. The necessary codecs / decoders included from Kwheezy repo instead.
  • Some minor tweaking here and there.

Version 1.1 installations can be upgraded to 1.2 via Apper or apt-get. However some extra tasks must be performed to get all the changes.

Please follow this wiki on how to fully migrate to 1.2.

Related entries

Comments

1. Vince

Vince on 09/21/2013 3:39 a.m. #

Is Secure UEFI supported?

2. euan

euan on 09/21/2013 5:02 a.m. #

@Vince: good question. AFAIK it does not. Debian wheezy supports UEFI but not secure boot. I'm not sure if anyone has created an unofficial way to do it though. I'll do some reading up and report back.

However, I haven't encountered any motherboard that I haven't been able to turn secure boot off... yet!

3. Nyxi

Nyxi on 09/22/2013 1:37 a.m. #

What version of KDE is in this release?

4. Vince

Vince on 09/22/2013 4:43 a.m. #

OK, thanks for the info. I can turn secure boot off on the motherboard. But was just wondering, because with Ubuntu, Lubuntu and Ubuntu Gnome it works out of the box with out me having to turn off any motherboard settings like Secure Boot. All new laptops that I've tried so far, ASUS (my current), Toshiba Satellite, and Dell Inspiron all use UEFI. The Linux distros, not just yours, but all of them should be addressing this. Because I'd just as soon not use Unity. Hence the other flavors I've listed above that I use.

Thanks for your reply and help.

5. euan

euan on 09/22/2013 8:07 a.m. #

@Vince: Yes you're correct. Debian decided there was not any clear and proper solution to the secure boot problem yet. Microsoft is to blame for this total mess. They seem to keep getting away with these mal-practises. Maybe by Debian 8 there will be a good clear and wholesome solution that they can endorse. Until then we just have to suffer a little. As linux users we should buy hardware made for linux, like System76.

6. euan

euan on 09/22/2013 8:11 a.m. #

@Nyxi: it's same as Debian, 4.8.4. May sound old, but its the most rock solid KDE I've used so far.

7. Andy

Andy on 09/23/2013 8:16 p.m. #

Tried to install kwheezy version 1.2
    The install stopped with a login prompt
    I had to enter administrator for the user name not
    Administrator as shown in the 1.2 install instructions. I used kwheezy for the password as per the instructions. Once logged in I got a $ prompt and nothing more. I entered startx and it began to istall the live desktop. The desktop began to appear but then it crashed in Kwin - The KDE CRash Handler. I installed the 32bit iso file on a usb stick and booted the system from CD using plopKexec version 0.3

These instructions need to be modified to tell users to log in as administrator not Administrator.

8. euan

euan on 09/23/2013 10:14 p.m. #

@Andy: Firstly, it's strange that you should have to login on the live session. It should autologin to the desktop. I can only guess that your video (graphics) card is not well supported by Debian Wheezy. What graphics card do you have? Please follow wiki "Diagnose and repair video driver issues". Could you please email the outputs to me, I'll PM you via email.

I don't know anything about plopKexec. Are you trying to use Kwheezy as a Live pendrive installation. Persistence?

You are correct about the installation guide instructions. Please forgive me, I guess I forgot Linux is case sensitive, even for usernames. I've changed it. Thing is, you shouldn't need to login to Live session.

9. vuk

vuk on 09/24/2013 8:21 p.m. #

Why you choose to switch debian multimedia repository? It worked well so far.

10. euan

euan on 09/24/2013 8:48 p.m. #

@vuk: Perhaps you were lucky that it worked well for you.

I got some emails from some Debian IRC members. They were very annoyed that Kwheezy users were contacting them with problems related to phonon (VLC in particular). It turns out the DMO packages are buggy, they cause problems with phonon. I noticed myself, that once I wenr back to Debian packages, my VLC runs without errors. The volume on VLC would change the master volume, when it shouldn't. Somebody else posted that the DMO caused flickering that Debian packages didn't.

Also, I didn't want to rely on 3rd party repo too much. What if DMO goes away etc.

Ultimately, I want Kwheezy to be as pure Debian Stable as possible. I only used DMO for libdvdcss2 and faac, and maybe acouple other codecs. All of which are now in Kwheezy repo instead.

Is there anything you are missing from DMO? Do the Debian packages work less well.

If you want to, you could always add it back. The keyring is still installed, so it would be minimal effort.

I'm sorry if it dissapointed you. But I'm going to stick to my guns on this one.

11. vuk

vuk on 09/25/2013 3:46 p.m. #

@euan. No, it's ok. I was just curious, I didnt know that there was so much problems. I am runing Kwheezy on asus k55vj and asus netbook 1015pn and everything is perfect. Playing all kind of media and it is ok. Kwheezy is really good, there is not so many distros based on debian stable.

12. jordan

jordan on 09/26/2013 12:36 a.m. #

Is Kwheezy 1.2 32-bit using a PAE kernel? Thanks.

13. jordan

jordan on 09/26/2013 12:48 a.m. #

To answer my own question, it looks like it does support PAE and my computer can indeed run it.

14. euan

euan on 09/26/2013 7:57 p.m. #

@vuk: Excellent! I'm glad you like Kwheezy. Join the forums, any suggestions are welcome and I could do with the help to answer stuff. If you're not too busy. :-)

15. euan

euan on 09/26/2013 7:58 p.m. #

@jordan: Yes, but you have to install it. There is a wiki for that. But I guess you already figured out how to do it.

All the best! :-)

16. Herman Wolff

Herman Wolff on 10/14/2013 11:36 p.m. #

Reading posts in the Mepis Forum about suggested replacements for Mepis, I was intrigued by Kwheezy 1.2 distro that has just had a update released.

I installed Kwheezy 1.2 on 10/01/2013 without problems and so far it has been very stable and updates have installed with out problems. I installed Synaptic to do this. My first issue was to get a HP LJ-1300 parallel connected printer to print. I contacted Euan Thoms, the developer behind this distro and he promptly sent me a suggestion to resolve the problem and it worked.

I have been using Mepis since 2006 along with some exposure to Mac and MS-Win7. Although this distro is tauted as newbie friendly, I think that the multiple included packages could be very intimidating to anyone not fairly familiar with Linux, its terminology and applications.

There are two issues that I don't clearly understand. The first is how to use “administrator”, “root” and “user.” I am currently using the system as administrator which gives me access to the entire system with the ability to install and uninstall packages and alter the system at will. Is administrator the same as “root” or is it more like “sudo” in Ubuntu, for instance? In Mepis you log in as “user” with the option to become “root” to use Synaptic or make other fundamental changes in the system and after you make changes you automatically revert to “user.” You may also log in at startup as “root.”

The second issue concerns the ability to save documents, images and web related material files to the physical desktop screen. This works well in Mepis but I can not figure out how to do it in Kwheezy.

Except for the afore mentioned issues that I am still struggling with, KWheezy 1.2 appears to be a solid, well integrated distro with just about everything pre-packaged that one could ever need. If I can not resolve the above issues, I am sure I will return to Mepis when Mepis 12 is released.

I primarily switched from Mepis 11.0.12(32) because of a total HDD failure (1st in 14 years of computing) and decided to try another distro while awaiting final release of Mepis 12. The Mepis Forum is superb.

17. euan

euan on 10/21/2013 2:12 a.m. #

@Herman: Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to answer your questions. Sorry for late reply, just got back from Holiday.

User accounts: The administrator account is only for administration. For a regular home installation this is just adding users and repairing when your normal login fails. For a managed network (corporate or educational for example) it can be much more. You are supposed to create a new user using "Manage Kwheezy Users" as it tells you upon first login to the Administrator account. The administrator has sudo enabled without requiring password. A regular user (with your name) will not have sudo enabled. To gain root access su to root for non graphical (terminal). And use kdesu for elevation privileges using graphical applications. Things like KDE Partition Manager will ask for root password. This makes things very secure and good for managed networks (offices / labs). You can give this regular account sudo access by adding it to sudo group or editing the /etc/sudoers file.

The reason you can't save files to the desktop is that KDE has been set to use the layout "Desktop" instead of "Folder View". So widgets can be added to the desktop, but not files. You can change those settings: right click on Desktop -> Desktop Settings. In the "View" section, change it to "Folder View" and select a folder to use for the desktop.