Version 1.4 released!

Last update on Feb. 28, 2014.

Version 1.4 released!

Version 1.4 is now available from the download page.

This release is mostly a bunch of minor fixes and improvements to the out-the-box experience.

Changes in version 1.4:

• Fix for entering accents in LibreOffice (disable iBus by default).
  • Firefox and Thunderbird 24 ESR are now default.
  • Cdrtools (original and best) replaces wodim and genisoimage as default Burning/ISO tools.
  • Kopete and Linphone replace Jitsi as default XMPP chat and video calling.
  • Kwheezy Autostart Chooser has additional choices, including iBus.
  • Make KGet and Kopete "Always Visible" in system tray by default.
  • Allow kwheezy-livecd package to be uninstalled without removing Kwheezy icon.
  • Disable transitions (effects) in KScreenSaver's "Slide Show", making it usable.

Version 1.3 installations can be upgraded to 1.4 via Apper or apt-get. However, many changes (default applications and settings) can not be done through package updates. To get the new desktop settings, use Kwheezy Profiler and restore "Kwheezy Defaults" after updating. This will lose some of your customisations, so do a profile backup first.

Related entries

Comments

1. Gromoglasov

Gromoglasov on 11/16/2013 7:14 a.m. #

"Version 1.3 installations can be upgraded to 1.4 via Apper or apt-get".

#apt-get update && apt-get upgrade (?)
    or
    #apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade (?)

2. Parijatha Kumatr

Parijatha Kumatr on 11/16/2013 2:14 p.m. #

Does the GPT installation on BIOS systems works ? In 1.3, it did not work for me. At the partition select prompt, I am not able to select a partition. The drop-down is blank. But my GPT table is fine and I am currently running Arch-with-KDE, Arch-with-Mate and ElementaryOS on three different partitions.

Also, I request you to provide a minimal ISO (below 1GB) with all default settings and a few applications, because every time to check the new version (to see if it installs on my system), I have to download around 4 GB on my slow internet connection.

3. euan

euan on 11/16/2013 4:20 p.m. #

@Gromoglasov: apt-get update; apt-get upgrade will suffice. Kwheezy always remains on Debian 7.x and so is not a dist-upgrade.

@Parijatha Kumatr: Do you have a swap partition? I assume you are doing a manual partioining install. Could you provide more details on installation options chosen and a the output of "sudo parted -l". Please use either the forum or contact form on Kwheezy website support page. I will help you as much as I can to get Kwheezy installed.

4. Parijatha Kumar

Parijatha Kumar on 11/19/2013 1:39 a.m. #

Thanks for the reply. I do certainly have a swap partition and yes I was trying a manual partitioning install. Anyway, I'll download and try to install it again. Further, I'll communicate on the forums.

5. euan

euan on 11/19/2013 2:14 a.m. #

@Parijatha Kumatr: Great, hopefully you manage OK. Otherwise I'll look out for you on the forum. If there is a limitation in the installer, I will try my best to fix it. I have done this before, the guy I helped was able to update the installer from the live session and successfully install, the next day. Best part is, others benefit too.

6. Joe Lafrite

Joe Lafrite on 11/25/2013 3:18 a.m. #

@ euan, I am experimenting the same problem as Kumar, using the 64-bit version and targeting a GPT disk. After manually creating the root and swap partitions, I can't define them as target for installation. This doesn't happen on the same machine with 32-bit version. As there is no trace of this problem in the forum, could you provide some help ?

7. Michal Kvasnicka

Michal Kvasnicka on 11/27/2013 10:23 p.m. #

Kwheezy ... just perfect rock-solid stable operating system with very well preconfigured KDE desktop!

Thank you very much for your work.

8. euan

euan on 11/28/2013 1:50 p.m. #

@Michal: Thanks for the positive feedback. I'm glad you like Kwheezy!

9. Michal Kvasnicka

Michal Kvasnicka on 11/29/2013 5:02 p.m. #

Kwheezy packages wish list:

1. libreoffice 4.x (!!!) + language tools (spell, hyp, grammar, ...)

2. krusader 2.4.0 (version 2.3.0 has still terrible problem with admin mode)

3. quick-usb-formatter version >= 4.9.x app (http://launchpad.net/~claydoh/+archive/utils)add to Kwheezy repo (very useful and simple application for USB flash disks formatting)

10. euan

euan on 12/01/2013 2:01 a.m. #

@Joe.

I send you an email a few days ago, but the email you used on this site just came back rejected.

Could you please describe your installation choices in detail. Especially the partition layout. Kwheezy assumes installation is to one drive, so you can't use paritions on different drives. Describe the disk partition layout, including any previous partitions. Then I will simulate in VirtualBox and get back to you.

Please use the forums or support form.

11. euan

euan on 12/01/2013 2:15 a.m. #

@Michal:

Kwheezy is based on Debian stable, so it takes the versions from there, which ahave been well tested and patched. I relaize that sometimes newer upstream stuff is more stable, but not always.

Libreoffice is a lot of work to package, I don't think I will have time to do it anytime soon. Version 4.1.2 can be installed from wheezy backports.

As for the other 2. I like Krusader, last time I checked the new version was still in alpha/beta and it was taking a long time (years) to get to the new stable version. Quick-USB-formatter sounds interesting, if it's not in debian stable repo I may package it.

Here's what to do: register on sourceforge and add one thread for each of these requests on the "Packaging" section of the Kwheezy forums. You can find the forums from the Kwheezy website. This will (i) remind me to look into it (ii) serve as a place to discuss any details (iii) allow others to contribute and help test the package.

If you fill out one thread per package request I'll look into it, but no promises.

12. David

David on 12/02/2013 4:08 p.m. #

I tried the new SolydK BE, nothing to do, Kwheezy remains the best.

13. euan

euan on 12/06/2013 6:07 a.m. #

@David: Thanks, I haven't tried their BE. It's a good move on their part. I tried the regular edition. They've done a good job, but a bit bland/sparse for me. Of course you can add stuff and theme it, but the rolling testing is not my game. If BE had been out from the start, I may never have made Kwheezy :-)

14. Michael

Michael on 12/09/2013 9:14 p.m. #

I am new to KWheezy, I've been running Mint and OpenSuse earlier, but I really like the dist.

Unfortunatly when I try to install it everything seems to work perfectly until reboot, then it just sais "Boot Device Not Found". If I go back to running Mint or OpenSuse it works like a charm.

The computer is a HP8460p with 320GB HDD and 8GB RAM. I use legacy BIOS instead of UEFI.

I would really much like this to work. Any ideas?

Regards

Michael

15. euan

euan on 12/10/2013 2:01 p.m. #

@Micheal: please use the forums in future.

Could you please try to set the root partition boot flag. You can do this, straight after installation (from the live sesion) using KDE partition manager. Right click on the root partition (usually /dev/sda1) and select properties, in the flags section, tick 'boot'.

This (below) was taken from http://www.linlap.com/hp_elitebook_8460p :

Notebook firmware support both BIOS and (U)EFI booting, but with bugs (detected on my notebook):

Firmware boot in BIOS mode from MBR if exists at least one primary partition has boot/active flag.

Firmware recognize GPT partitions (e.g. ESP) only if exists at least one primary parition without boot/active flag.

16. gu

gu on 01/16/2014 10:50 a.m. #

any gnome integration?? (as found in netrunner for example, gtk and qt apps unified look)
    nvidia (easy and fast) driver "installer"??
    steam in the repo??
    any chance of getting infinality working under an hour??
    appologies for the out of the blue questions, need to find an out of the box debian kde distro, considering kwheezy, solydk, lmde.. need to have the system up and running in an hour or two,, would prefer to do a debian netinst and build "my own" but time allocated for installation and setup is essential in this case and, the last time i've done this (in may with wheezy going stable) it took me a whole weekend to get everything "right"..
    anyway.. thanks..

17. euan

euan on 01/18/2014 12:42 a.m. #

Yes, kde-config-gtk-style is installed and GTK apps look like Qt apps.

Best video driver tool you ever used in Linux. But Drakconf in Mandriva based distros is a close second.

Steam already installed. Works well for me.

I'm not sure about infinality, never heard of it. It will be same situation as Debina 7.x.

Kwheezy is best out the box Debian KDE experience you will find. As long as you don't mind the older satble package versions.

My uptime on my desktop stretches to months. Only powering down when my fusebox trips (lightning usually).

18. gu

gu on 01/21/2014 4:21 a.m. #

@euan
    thank you for a prompt and thorogh answer..
    deploying on one less mission critical workstation (conventional desktop, blender/ cycles renderer primarily) for testing.. i like what i see from some live sessions i have experienced thus far.. for me debian stable base is an advantage not the other way around..
    @kwheezy developers..
    thank you for the efforts..

19. euan

euan on 01/21/2014 4:30 p.m. #

One caveat I thought I'd warn you about. The blender in Debian repos is without Collada support. This is because Collada itsefl is missing from Debian repos. I guess nobody packaged it before wheezy freeze. I discovered this when looking how to export sketchup models into blender, collada makes it easy.