Version 1.5 released!

Last update on June 6, 2014.

Version 1.5 released!

Version 1.5 is now available from the download page.

This release improves the installer, ships Debian updates, changes and adds some new software.

Changes in version 1.5:

• Impoved installer: add boot flag to root partition, try to fix progress bar not updating.
  • New App! "Kwheezy Connector" will easily setup mounted WebDAV and SFTP connections. Auto-mount available.
  • Updated to Debian 7.4
  • Default font changed to Deja Vu Sans.
  • Google Earth updated to version 7, now supporting proper Qt4, stable...ish.
  • PDF-Shuffler replaces PDFmod. Same functionality, but pygtk instead of mono.
  • Quick USB Formatter is installed by default.
  • KDE Print Manager in System Settings is installed.
  • Firefox and Thunderbird 24 ESR are updated to latest.

Version 1.4 installations can be upgraded to 1.5 via Apper or apt-get. However, many changes (default applications and settings) can not be done through package updates. To get the new desktop settings, use Kwheezy Profiler and restore "Kwheezy Defaults" after updating. This will lose some of your customisations, so do a profile backup first. If you are happy with the KDE and profile settings, just do package updates only. You will need to manually remove and install the replaced apps (Google Earth 7, PDF-Shuffler, Quick USB Installer).

Related entries

Comments

1. Ron

Ron on 03/22/2014 11:52 p.m. #

Did you ever get the main menu fixed?

2. euan

euan on 03/23/2014 2:08 a.m. #

Nope. It's a KDE issue, I don't repackage the Debian KDE packages. I think we'll have to live with until Debian 8. A alternative menu could be used, Kicker, Lancelot, there are others. Personally, it doesn't bother me that much. I don't even know if it's been fixed in recent versions of KDE.

3. honsen

honsen on 03/23/2014 7:18 p.m. #

I am downloading the new release and going to give it a shot. After carefully reading your blogs and taking a tour at KWheezy, I found it wouldn't let anyone down.
    Many thanks from China.

4. euan

euan on 03/23/2014 10:11 p.m. #

@honsen: Hi, i hope you find it works well for you. Just a tip, if you speak Chinese: I haven't tested Chinese locale support because I don't know Chinese. But you should definetely create a regular user (don't use administrator) and select iBus from autostart options on first boot (or afterwards from Menu>Kwheezy>Autostart Chooser. It is a good non-latin character input method manager. You will have to choose the chinese character class that suits you best.

5. RoseHosting

RoseHosting on 03/24/2014 9:32 a.m. #

Congrats on the new release!

6. honsen

honsen on 03/24/2014 10:24 a.m. #

@euan
    OK.No problem. I speak chinese. I will check it out afterwards.

7. gmr

gmr on 03/24/2014 11:30 p.m. #

hi Mr Euan
    I am wondering, if it could be possible, to see/read how is configured your own apt/ sources.list
    2nd, I wish I could use the last libreoffice available, with no success, how can I install it on kwheezy?

8. euan

euan on 03/25/2014 12:10 a.m. #

@gmr: You can see the repository index entry in the file /etc/apt/sources.list. e.g.:

$cat /etc/apt/sources.list
    deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free

deb http://packages.kwheezy.com/debian/ wheezy main

You can install a more recent version from debian backports. The following explains how to do that:

basically, add the following line to /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian wheezy-backports main contrib non-free

Then update indexes (as root):

apt-get update

Then install using apt-get:

apt-get -t wheezy-backports install libreoffice

With backports you have to tell apt-get to use that repository specifically. It won't upgrade to the backports packages, you have to opt in.

9. honsen

honsen on 03/25/2014 10 a.m. #

@euan
    I would like to do a report on my installing kwheezy.
    I used to install Debian Wheezy alongside win7 and the procesure went smoothly.But when I installed Kwheezy alongside win7, the computer restarted and the screen just showed booting options so that it was impossible to enter Kwheezy system. I am wondering why.Thanks.

Plus, I chose 'install grub.' at the end the installation.

10. lemort

lemort on 03/25/2014 11:56 a.m. #

@euan
    Homerun Kicker works. Just installed it on Kwheezy x32 and Kwheezy x64

@honsen
    run

# apt-get install lilo
    # lilo -M /dev/sda mbr

boot to windows and install this

run easybcd and follow the instruction to add kwheezy on windows bootloader.

now your kwheezy installation will run from windows bootloader.

but I guess you already knows it.

11. honsen

honsen on 03/25/2014 12:52 p.m. #

@lemort
    Thanks.
    I have to fix the pc first and install easybsd, then install Kwheezy,I suppose.
    The installation of Kwheezy takes a lot of time,maybe just because my pc is a bit low spec..
    Thanks again.

12. honsen

honsen on 03/25/2014 1:21 p.m. #

@lemort
    Mr. Lemort
    I got it. It is unnecessary to reinstall Kwheezy.Firstly, I fix the win7 then install easybsd and choose Kwheezy to boot menu.Glad to communicate with you. Thanks.

13. euan

euan on 03/25/2014 9:49 p.m. #

@lemort
    Thanks for the info about Homerun, and for helping honsen. I heard about homerun a while back, but was waiting for it to mature. I forgot the name until you mentioned it.

@honsen
    Looks like you managed OK with easybcd (easybsd?). I've never heard of it. Dual boot causes a lot of support requests, there's not one easy solution for all scenarios. I think you could have just let kwheezy install to the MBR of the installation drive, then selec that as first boot device in the BIOS. The GRUB2 on Kwheezy MBR would probably detect the Windows installation and make a boot option. Anyway, if you got it working, leave it as it is.

14. hector

hector on 03/26/2014 10:16 p.m. #

Hi there, how can I remove the bottom panel? I prefer cairo dock. Thanks.

15. euan

euan on 03/27/2014 9:25 a.m. #

@hector
    1 - right-click on the panel -> Unlock Widgets
    2 - right-click on panel -> panel options -> remove this panel

After you unlock, you can remove many of the unwanted widgets and move it to one side. It may be a good idea to keep the system tray widget.

16. Alberto

Alberto on 03/30/2014 7:17 p.m. #

Hello!

Debian Wheezy user'm Spanish and I have a server with raid 0. How I can install there? Kparted not detect raid.

I like KDE, but I prefer the Kwheezy settings and want to install it on my PC. I need the raid (software) because I have a Minecraft server.

Thank you very much.

17. gmr

gmr on 03/31/2014 7:38 a.m. #

Mr Euan:

Its me again, how can I configure my terminal/shell with all its properties? you know, copy/paste, fonts, etc it seems to be, so basic? so sylvester? on kwheezy

18. Albert

Albert on 04/01/2014 1:29 p.m. #

Euon:
    Congratulations on an excellent distro. I'm finding kwheezy 1.5 to be awesome. However, there is one issue that I'm hoping you can assist with. How do I change/defeat the annoying menu timeout? I'm sure I'm slower than I should be but I need to have the menu stay open while I am searching through the menu tree for the correct application. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

19. gmr

gmr on 04/02/2014 7:04 a.m. #

Mr Euan

You better excuse me, but, simply, I am not able to write/change nothing through my shell.

Look, I used to call a terminal (was a pclinuxos user), being root, wrote its paswd and then the necessary commands to modify sensitive things like /etc/apt/sources.list

OK, lets say, that running kwheezy 1.4, I open a terminal:

administrator@gmr_kw:~$su
    Password:
    root@gmr_kw:/home/administrator#kwrite /etc/apt/sources.list
    No protocol specified
    kwrite:cannot connect to X server :0
    root@gmr_kw:/home/administrator#

So, where am I wrong? I just wanted to add the line:

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian wheezy-backports main contrib non-free

in /etc/apt/sources.list and I couldn't.

that's the reason why, lines above, I asked you in , how to configure a shell with all its power, like other distros have.

Anyways, thanks in advance!

20. euan

euan on 04/06/2014 3:09 p.m. #

@Alberto:
    I'm not so familiar with RAID installs on desktop systems. I have only installed to RAID on server systems. If it's hardware raid it should appear as a drive, provided the raid controller driver is available in Debian wheezy. If it software RAID, you will eed to set it up manually first. Kwheezy installer does not support software RAID installations. Is it hardware or software RAID that you want to use? Please use the Kwheezy forums, it's a quick and easy registration on sourceforge.

@Albert:
    The menu issue can't be fixed. However you can use an alternate menu, either the default KDE menu ("Switch to Application Launcher Sytle") or use Lancelot (which is pretty good). You can change the icon of the menu after adding it to your panel.

@gmr:
    I'm not sure I understand all your questions, but I'll try to answer best i can. For Konsole settings; right click on the terminal window, select "configure current profile". That will change a lot of settings for you. Konsole (and yakuake) are anything but simple, they are simply the most powerful terminal managers available for Linux.

in Debian, as with most distros, is you can't run GUI apps (requires X) from the root shell. Since the root shell is not attached to X server. To overcome this, either use (i) kdesu ("kdesu kwrite path/to/file") or (ii) sux instead of su. With sux, it behaves more like PCLinuxOS, wherby you can open graphical applications for a root shell prompt.

Hope this helps. And please use forums in future for support questions.

21. gavinb

gavinb on 04/29/2014 5:48 a.m. #

Have the following 2 problems:

Really want to install kwheezy 1.5 on my 2013 Mac Pro (6,1).

Only bootup method is EFI/UEFI.
    Any help/advice?

Is it possible to allow the kwheezy-livecd-installer to continue without swap?

22. gavinb

gavinb on 04/29/2014 6:02 a.m. #

About the EFI boot process.

Seems that only HFS/NTFS/FAT partitions with EFI boot loader are valid boot up sources when booting with Alt/Option pressed during boot up to skip any 3rd party EFI boot managers such as Refit/Refind

An EFI bootloader can be invoked manually like ubuntu grubx64.efi

By using the grub lines

linux (hd0,msdos1)/live/vmlinuz boot=live noautottylogin
    initrd (hd0,msdos1)/live/initrd.img
    boot

But boot-up fails with what seems to be an unsupported video mode, i.e having blank screen on HDMI/Thunderbolt Display...

23. euan

euan on 04/30/2014 2:48 a.m. #

@gavinb:

I'm sorry to say that EFI boot is not supported in Kwheezy. I looked into supporting it at one stage, but determined it was not feasible. The problem is that EFI boot is complicated to start with. Bu the real problem is that either there is not one rigid standard for it, or just that different harware vendors implement it differently. It's just not possible to make a boot setup confgiuration that will work with all, or even a majority, of hardware. I don't know how the big distros do it, but I bet it's problemeatic on plenty hardware. I don't have the resources to take on the challenge. Ultimately EFI boot and more so UEFI is a bloody mess. I know it's patronizing, but we need to vote with our wallets and buy products that respect the linux ecosystem. I know, not much help for someone that is trying to make use of existing hardware.

As for swap. Again, sorry, but the installer expects a swap partition. It's highly recommended to have at least some swap, even if you have lots of RAM. You can make it very small, I don't remember making a minimum size requirement.

24. gavinb

gavinb on 05/03/2014 3:58 a.m. #

@euan,

Thanks for the response and explaining the EFI/UEFI problem.

I can install in a VMWare Fusion session but can not alter the disk partitioning without the VM powering down.

As a result I can not make swap partition on the install volume and can not proceed with install.

Can installer be made to look for swap on another volume?